Elements of a Cloud Business Case
Before any large project or investment, evaluating the benefits and costs is critical.
Deliver a Strong Proof of Concept:
- Plan the migration of a business application or service to the cloud. Where and how should the company implement cloud environments?
- Understand the performance baselines and goals. Measure and monitor performance, reliability, uptime, capacity, scaleability etc.
- Understand risk tolerance and security requirements. Are there any implications for data compliance or external regulations?
- Evaluate current direct and indirect costs vs future cloud associated costs. Assess how CapEx and OpEx changes will affect budgets moving from on-premise to subscription. Forecast cost and maintenance optimisations and ROI.
Building a Cloud Roadmap
An actionable cloud roadmap requires a clear overview of the current technological and business requirement landscape.
- Assess your current technology infrastructure including dependencies
- Understand how your applications, data stores, and systems support requirements and communicate their business value to management
- Map out how cloud technologies will augment existing business capabilities or provide new functionality
- Use dynamic visualizations and automated Gantt charts to track project progress and keep a close eye on costs
Use ABACUS to create viewpoints and dashboards which give stakeholders a visual overview of systems, processes and technology.
Benefits of Switching to Cloud
Algorithms to Guide Decision-Making
Algorithms can be used to do the heavy lifting of both business and technical analysis.
- Calculate key metrics such as cost (TCO), performance, reliability. Compare these across scenarios/options.
- Assign a complexity ranking for each solution, as to the amount of work required to redesign or refactor each system vs continued maintenance of current systems
- Understand and quantify the security and risk implications of your cloud migration scenarios
The most effective analytics will be tailored precisely to your business and technology environment. In ABACUS, both business and technical staff can set up or adjust analytics using ABACUS’ no-code visual algorithm composer.
Monitoring & Cloud Cost Management
Set-up continuous monitoring and feedback loops for cloud governance and financial management
- Consider the operational requirements of your systems including service levels, integrations, maintenance etc.
- Add proposed cloud technologies to existing roadmaps; undertake gap analysis to identify the gaps between current and future state architectures
- Prioritize migrations and monitor key metrics as projects progress. Save reference architectures for reuse and feed insights back into future migration plans.
Connect and Collaborate on Business and IT Data
Present roadmaps and metrics on cloud strategy across your enterprise using browser-based dashboards, diagrams and dynamic visualizations.
- Real-time connected data. Combine your Visio diagrams and Excel spreadsheets into fully integrated editable catalogues and diagrams to track application and infrastructure registers and processes
- Create on-demand reports. Tailor web-based dashboards for updating stakeholders on relevant metrics.
- Access easily. Embed as tabs in MS Teams, Confluence etc. for easy access.
Cloud-Optimized Enterprise Architectures
Cloud Migration is both a Business and IT Journey. Download the eBook and explore the essential elements for a Cloud Business Case such as “Where and how should the company implement cloud environments?” and “What are the benefits (modernization, agility)?”
Roadmapping Cloud Migration and Architecture
The Open Group Webinar
This webinar covers:
- Essential elements for a Cloud Business Case
- Roadmapping for Cloud Migration and Application Rationalization
- Managing IT risks and Cybersecurity in Cloud Architectures